Sunday, October 21, 2012

Halloween slutty brownies

Have you heard about slutty brownies? If you're on Pinterest, there's small chance that you haven't. For the rest of you, these brownies are an incredibly decadent and somewhat ridiculous dessert. The slutty brownie consists of three layers. A chocolate chip cookie dough layer, a layer of Oreos and a brownie layer all baked together into one undeniably rich and inescapable little square. In other words, there is no saying no to these. I brought these to work last week and people are still talking about them.

Searching online for vegan slutty brownies brought me to this picture from Word Vomit Wednesday that perfectly sums up the feeling you get from these brownies.


Yep, that's about the response I got from everyone who ate these. And then there's always the wonderfully guilty pleasure we vegans have of informing people the incredibly decadent mouthgasm they just had was vegan! (And then you get to explain, yes, Oreos are vegan.) I've noticed lately this isn't such a surprise anymore for a lot of people, but that's a topic for another day.



Since it's October and since I've always had a slight obsession with Halloween Oreos, these are Halloween slutty brownies. It's the only appropriate way to use Halloween and slutty in the same sentence. (We'll save the tirade about degrading costume options for women and girls for another time. Or maybe tomorrow.) These can also be palm oil-free if you use the Whole Foods 365 brand chocolate sandwich cookies instead of Oreos. Last time I checked, the filling was made with canola oil instead of palm. Also, these delicious treats use no Earth Balance and are pantry friendly!


Vegan slutty brownies

Preheat oven to 350 and grease a 9x13 baking dish.

Make one recipe of Isa's chocolate chip cookies and plop the dough into your pan. I dyed half of my dough orange, but it ended up not being too visible. If you don't have tapioca flour, I think it would be ok to use cornstarch in this recipe.


Spread it out and add a layer of Oreos. I didn't have quite enough for an even layer because I ate a few. (Oops.) 24 should have been enough for my 9x13 pan. Feel free to break the Oreos in half to fit though. 

Next make the brownie layer. This recipe is based on the Sweet Pea Bakery brownie recipe published in VegNews a few years back. (FYI, this is the only brownie recipe I ever use and it is simply THE best. Double it if you are just making brownies.)

Brownie layer
1 cup all purpose flour
1 1/4 cups sugar
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup brewed coffee (I just use instant coffee crystals mixed in water since I don't ever make coffee.)
1 tablespoon flax seed meal
2 tablespoons water
1/2 cup canola oil
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 cup chocolate chips

Mix flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder and salt together. Add coffee, flax, water, oil and vanilla and mix. Stir in chocolate chips. (If you think the chocolate chips will be a little over the top, you can leave them out and I won't hold it against you.)

Pour over Oreo layer.


Smooth it out so all of the Oreos are covered.


Peekaboo!

Bake your slutty brownies for 25-35 minutes. It's ok if they're slightly underdone...it will just add to the gooey sexiness, but I baked mine for a full 35 minutes, until the top had that signature brownie crust and they were still soft (and perfect) in the middle. Cool for at least 2 hours. (I know! Torture!) Slice into squares as small or as large as you dare. I'm rarely a small slicer, but these are so incredibly rich, I do recommend little pieces! 

Too big!
Just right!


I am also going to end each post with a picture that reminds me why I'm vegan.
Happy Halloween! 


Up next: Halloween nanaimo bars












3 comments:

  1. I must make these! But I'm trying to decide if my brownie layer should be raspberry brownie or caramel mocha brownie. Decisions are so difficult. And, because I believe in gilding the already gilded lilly, I might add a ganache topping over the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm on Pinterest and yet I've not heard of these. I don' think. I may have turned that part of my brain off, though. I wonder if I dare to xgfxercise these?

    xo
    kittee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you tired of being human, having talented brain turning to a vampire in a good posture in ten minutes, Do you want to have power and influence over others, To be charming and desirable, To have wealth, health, without delaying in a good human posture and becoming an immortal? If yes, these your chance. It's a world of vampire where life get easier,We have made so many persons vampires and have turned them rich, You will assured long life and prosperity, You shall be made to be very sensitive to mental alertness, Stronger and also very fast, You will not be restricted to walking at night only even at the very middle of broad day light you will be made to walk, This is an opportunity to have the human vampire virus to perform in a good posture. If you are interested contact us on Vampirelord7878@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete